Wednesday, May 12

Killing the Buddha leads to....

Yesterday I began reading 'Killing the Buddha'. The first thing I noticed is a red X on the cover. Reminded me of a sermon at my UU congregation about 'X the Unknown' aka God, the Lord, the Divine etc.

Then the first essay, on the Book of Genesis by A.L. Kennedy. She talks about "another familiar guise of God- the Absentee." This is the god of contradictions. This puts us in a "lifelong trap constructed of freedoms..." the whole thing is funny, perhaps funnier if there is God.

That brings to mind the 'Imp of the Perverse' as Jack Shaftoe says in the Baroque Cycle. Which that it actually came from Mr. E.A. Poe.


Or this funny thing called life, which I belive the funny stuff is often courtesy of Mr. Murphy of Murphy's Law fame.


Murphy's Law is: "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong". One might think that generally the God of Genesis is not watching over much of anything. Rather his associate Murph is taking an interest in things. His efforts aren't usually positive.

If I am a devout believer in anything it's Murphy's Law. As close to an iron law as I know of.

If things don't go outright wrong, then they'll take longer or they'll be much harder than they appear.

I started with God and Genesis, and I'm where now? For one I'm positing a religious basis for Murphy's Law.

For another I think Murphy's Law can tell us something about deep subjects. Muslim's pray 5 times a day. Maybe devout believers in Murphy's law should pause 5 times a day to contemplate how things can go wrong. Maybe just maybe this can help the fight against Murphy.

Really I think I'm onto something here. Murphy preys on those who fail to pay attention. If you work to be aware in a deep & profound way it should propel you to higher plains. Greater awareness may not foil the inevitable Murphy's Law but it should at the least improve concentration and enjoyment.

Now that I've connected Murphy's Law and religion I must go see what will go wrong next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home